Does Your House Stink? 3 Tips for Eliminating Odors Naturally.
Here is how to get rid of the musty smell in your house naturally
without resorting to chemical air fresheners. Make use of what you
have on hand in the kitchen, such as fruits and white vinegar. Here
are some tips to eliminate unpleasant odors in the kitchen naturally.
- Use citrus fruits
- Use essential oils
Try boiling some lemon and orange peel in a little water. You might add a few stalks of lemon grass and some fresh ginger for an exotic natural aroma. And don’t throw away your halved lemons and oranges after juicing. Put them down the garbage disposal for instant freshening.
- The essential oils of peppermint and eucalyptus can be used on cotton wool balls and tucked into the corners of the kitchen to freshen up the environment.
- You might also want to use a diffuser or just boil up some water on the stove with a few drops of each oil. Make sure you use an old pan for this which you reserve for this purpose only and not for cooking. Experiment with your favorite fragrances and you might come up with some great combinations.
- You can make a natural air freshener by adding five drops of essential oil to half a cup of water and placing in a spray bottle.
- Place a bowl of water with white vinegar on the kitchen counter to absorb odors after cooking fish. You might also try adding some vanilla flavoring to the bowl.
- Make an effective odor-combating scrub in a small dish. Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to 3 tablespoons white vinegar and (if you want) a few drops of lemon essential oil. Steam and grease will often be deposited on the walls and tiles of the kitchen so wash down the walls with this fragrant paste. (Make sure to test spot a wall to make sure no color changes happen)
- Place small bowls of vinegar in spots around your house where persistent odors linger. For example, the shoe rack area smells, so try and hide a bowl of vinegar up high, but not enclosed–unless your smell is coming from a cupboard. However if you can smell the vinegar bowls–the bowl either needs to be up higher, less vinegar, or more hidden. I recommend 1 cup of vinegar per bowl.
White vinegar has many uses.
It seems everyone is coming up with natural methods of removing unwanted odors from your household. You can create fragrant natural odor removers for your home without resorting to artificial fragrances. A good smelling home comes with a little creativity and the use of fruits, essential oils, and other natural household items you might have on hand.
If you’re in Kalamazoo and you need help tackling an odor problem, please call us at 269-344-3600. Your musty house odors will disappear leaving pure, fresh air. We welcome all questions and concerns; call us today. Our Smoke and Odor Services