Should I Remove Candle Wax from Carpet with a Paper Bag or Cloth?
It happens to most of us. You accidentally knock over the candle that has been lit for two hours, dumping hot wax all over your thick carpet! Now what? The two most popular methods to remove wax from your carpet when Google searching are (1) the iron and paper bag method or (2) the iron and terry cloth method.
Are you wondering which of these two methods worked better? So were we! Time for an experiment to see which material works better for getting a lot of wax out of a carpet. We asked our residential technicians what method seemed more legit. They suggested the cloth method, hands-down. And what do ya know? We tried both methods, and we definitely found the winner. The best way to remove candle wax from carpet is using a hot iron and clean cloth!
Terry Cloth Method: ResultsBEFORE AFTER
Paper Bag Method: ResultsBEFORE AFTER
*the after picture was taken after using two grocery bags! This method did not work well for us.
Materials Needed for Removing Wax
- Terry Cloth (choose a cloth that you can throw away)
- A little water
- Candle Wax Mess (dry wax only)
Steps on How To Remove Wax from Carpet
- Heat iron to high. Or on cotton setting if you have that option.
- Scrape off as much wax as you can with a dull knife; then vacuum the wax pieces.
- Dampen cloth.
- Fold cloth in half and place directly over dried candle wax.
- Place iron over cloth and hold down for 10-30 seconds. (We used the full 30 seconds.)
- Lift cloth up. Adjust cloth so a new part will soak up more wax. Repeat step 5.
- Repeat until all wax is gone.
- Tip: *Make sure cotton cloth stays damp (damp meaning not dry and not soaking wet).
What about the Other Candle Wax Stain
Remember what we were left with after the paper bag method?Here’s a quick reminder:
We waited for the wax to fully harden. Then we used the iron and cloth method (see steps above).
*This last image is very close-up. When standing, we could not see any spot.
Still Can’t Get the Wax Out of your Carpet?
If you’ve tried everything and still aren’t happy with the results, please call ServiceMaster of Kalamazoo for help. Keep in mind, it’s much easier for us to clean a mess that hasn’t been tainted with DIY cleaning methods. Sometimes trying to clean a huge mess by yourself causes more damage. Call the experts first! We are highly trained in home carpet cleaning, and we will probably get that stain gone and your carpet back to normal..
For more tips and tricks:
- How Often Should You Clean Your Carpets?
- Does Scotchgard Protect Your Carpet?
- Prevent Mold from Growing in 3 Common Places
- 3 Tips for Eliminating Odors Naturally
- Bathroom Green Cleaning – Grimy to Shiny