Moisture and Mold Problems: How to Avoid them in your Home | ServiceMaster

Moisture and Mold Problems: How to Avoid Them

 In disaster cleaning, how to, mold, preventative home solutions, restoration company

One of the most common and hard to eliminate problems in both residential and commercial properties is mold. Just saying the word is enough to make someone cringe. While mold has a useful role outdoors, such as helping decompose organic matter easily, it’s something we don’t need inside our home or office. Ever!

Mold is a type of fungus consists of small organisms that are almost found anywhere. It can be color white, black, orange, green or purple. In small amounts, mold spores are harmless. But when they land on a certain spot in your home, they spread pretty quickly and become dangerous.

Not only are they unsightly, molds pose serious health risks to your family. They could appear as white patches on your floor, orange films surrounding your kitchen drain, or scary black spots on your walls. If you suspect that there’s mold build-up in your home, you should act fast to stop it.

How Moisture & Mold Damages Your Home

Mold problems are something that you want to address right away. It feeds on organic materials, such as wood, wallpaper, ceiling tiles, walls, and even fabrics. Mold literally eats away these types of materials so fast that before you know it, it could cause them to rot and fall apart.

You may notice mold build-up in common areas like the attic, basement or bathroom. But did you know it can damage your heating and ventilation system too? Severe mold problems warrant professional home repair, which can be costly. You may end up contacting your insurance company or dealing with personal loans, such as a cash advance online, to get the repair work started right away. Otherwise, the damage can become even more expensive to handle if left ignored for a longer time.

How Moisture Damages Your Health

More than your home, mold can greatly damage your health. Molds produce allergens, irritants, and other potentially toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mold spores may cause allergic reactions to sensitive individuals, causing symptoms like sneezing, runny nose and eyes, skin rash, and even fever-like symptoms. Mold can also cause asthma attacks. Some people may have more severe reactions, such as shortness of breath. People who are at risk of the health risks associated with mold exposure are:

  • Infants and children
  • The elderly
  • People who have weakened immune systems
  • Those with chronic lung problems

How to Deal with Mold Problems at Home

Your floors, walls, furniture, and appliances – they are all great targets for mold invasion. But the most important thing that mold needs to survive is moisture. That’s why you’re more likely to see mold in damp places, such as the bathroom, kitchen, sink, crawlspaces, and basement.

Thus, your main concern when treating mold is to find and eliminate sources of moisture. If your roof has cracks or holes, as well as the pipes, there is moisture. And there’s definitely mold quickly spreading on various surfaces of your home, particularly those close to the source of moisture.

Once you found and fixed the water problem, the next step is to clean it up. If the affected area is small, you’re likely to handle the job yourself. However, if the mold covers more than 10 square feet of the surface, you may need to consult a qualified mold inspector.

However, if you choose to hire a contractor, make sure to find someone who has an experience cleaning up mold. Only hire a company that is certified to provide mold removal and cleanup services in your area. They should follow the recommendations by the EPA, ACGIH, and other professional or government organizations.

If you suspect that your HVAC system is contaminated, do not run it until after cleaning it up. Turning it on will just allow the mold to quickly spread to your home.

Here are some more tips to resolve mold and moisture problems in your home:

  • Fix plumbing leaks and other water problems immediately.
  • Scrub off small spots of mold with detergent and water. Dry the surface immediately afterward.
  • Do not paint moldy surfaces. Clean them up first before applying paint.
  • Remove moisture from carpets. It is important to dry the carpet as soon as the cleaning is done.

Mold can cause severe damage to your home and lead to costly repairs. Worst, it can compromise the health of your family. Acting fast and resolving the issue right away is the best thing to do. And if needed, seek help from the professionals.

Live in Southwest Michigan?

 

Other related articles:

 
Want more information on mold removal, disaster restoration and more? Subscribe below for our emails!



 

Guest Post Writer: Lidia Staron
Recommended Posts
Contact Us

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search

lady looking grossed out with blog title